CardDAV refers to the open standard that you can utilize to sync your contacts data between different devices. Both email and application accounts system of Microsoft Windows allow you to sync your contacts or emails with your Windows platform and hosted service provider.
CardDAV Client Windows applications enable end users to connect to webdav servers.
Once your data is sync, you can take advantage of the built-in Contacts app with your action, lock screen, and notification center. Windows delivers everything to provide effective support for syncing your contacts with CardDAV service provider.
The CardDAV Client, Windows email, and application account system, offers a generic account type, including the full auto-configuration with the use of /.well-known/URLs.
Meanwhile, you cannot add a generic CardDAV server account in the Windows 10. That is because it imposes a limit to syncing only with Yahoo!, iCloud, and Google accounts. The good news is that you can sync your contacts by adding your iCloud account and then, modify the server addresses.
How to Configure CardDAV Client Windows
To configure your custom account for CardDAV client Windows, make sure to add first the placeholder iCloud account in the Windows. After that, simply the following steps:
- Open the “Windows Settings” app
- Go to Accounts such as Email and App accounts
- Click on the “Add new account’ button
- Choose the “iCloud” option
- In the CardDAV account username field, enter your full email address
- In the password section, enter “NOT PASSWORD”
- Make sure not to key in your real password
- Click the “Sign in” button
- Choose your account from the email and app accounts list
- Click on the “Modify Account” button
- Click on the “Advanced mailbox settings” option
- In the IMAP and SMTP fields, enter “localhost” to help you prevent your password from being sent to the email servers of Apple
- Enter your CardDAV server address in the correct fields
- Click on the “Done” button
- In the Password field, enter your real account password
- Click on the “Save” button
Take note that initial syncing of your CardDAV client Windows account will take a few minutes. This action depends on how much data is needed to be synced.
Eventually, your contacts data should pop up in the Contacts app, as well as on your lock screen and Action Center.
Furthermore, you also have to be aware that there might be some future changes to Windows, where it may do some changes in the implementation process.
For example, in case that CardDAV client Windows provides support for the two-factor logins intended for Apple IDs, your login may not be sent to Apple’s server.
Windows will similarly remove the option for modifying the CardDAV server address as well as the hardcore Apple’ server address.
In case your CardDAV account does not include your personal information, or it is fine for you that Apple may potentially get the copy of your password, you can go straight performing the above steps.
But the good thing is, there is an effective way of not sending your password to Apple, which is not to enter your real password.