WebDAV Clients: What are these?
Let’s see it as a simple overview of what are these WebDAV clients and how is the use of using them. So generally many cloud-based collaboration services use WebDAV protocol to enable their collaborative features. These features can be accessed through a WebDAV client in which users can log into their WebDAV account and take control over their server.
So when the question arises of what is a WebDAV Client? you can say that these are the same as FTP clients, just these clients connect users to a web server where they can download or upload files. WebDAV clients also enable users to edit and collaborate on files on a WebDAV server. The key advantage of WebDAV against other FTPS is the inclusion of additional properties like author and modification time of any file in its metadata. This also facilitates the WebDAV locking feature that is called DAV locking.
The locking feature blocks the write permission for everyone but the person currently editing a file. This feature prevents overwrite conflicts, and it allows a resource to be occupied by one user only at a time. One user cannot overwrite another user’s edits; the person who opened the document first has the edit rights. Furthermore, WebDAV can display who last edited a file, which is very useful for administrators and support teams.
Benefits of using these type of Clients
WebDAV allows easy smooth sailing transactions from individuals to multiple users by letting them collaborate the work where multiple users can edit the same file that too remotely. This the reason why WebDAV is extremely beneficial in a corporate setting, and WebDAV Clients help it in doing so.
Top reasons why to choose a WebDAV Client:
Following are the reasons show why a WebDAV client is preferable
It has High-performance value, that means it will speed up the work as compared to regular FTPs
- It uses multiple connections which allows access, writing, deleting, copying or moving of files from remote directories.
- It also uses high-speed multipart and multithreaded transfer technology automatically.
It guarantees Perfect reliability along with trouble-free processing of even complex WebDAV tasks
- The interrupted or incomplete requests which normally disappears in usual FTPS can be automatically resumed here with just an application restart.
- It has a built-in request manager, which keeps a track of the user’s activities and keeps them in detail
The Security standards are very high and they keep your data safe
- It consists of strong cryptographic algorithms. These type of algorithms are normally used in banking systems.
- It also offers optional password protection. To keep your server definitions safe.
It has Space-saving user interface which allows you to concentrate on your primary tasks
- This minimizes the amount of space occupied on the users desktop to one small screen which shows the status of running requests
The current version of WebDAV clients usually supports all kinds of FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS and all other WebDAV protocols such as direct (FXP) and indirect (protocol independent) server-to-server transfers. These are the generic knowledge about WebDAV.