Do you want to access WebDAV in Java? Then, you have arrived to the right technical article. Read further to learn more about how Java WebDAV connections can be supported in your Java project.
What is the Structure Java WebDAV Projects?
With the use of the WebDAV server in Java, you can have various file management features. You can make files, move, copy as well as delete files. Even more important, you can also read, make, and delete custom properties for every folder or file.
WebDAV uses XML which can be extended without the need of fragmenting it. With XML and WebDAV, you can have immediate, free as well as secure access on file applications anywhere . It enables your business to create private cloud integrations that are, among other traits, GDPR compliant.
The Most Popular Java WebDAV Server on Github
Updated recently, this implementation of a WebDAV server in Java and Kotlin provides a great example of how to manually build a server with a SQL database backend or with file system storage.
This is a great example of what you can do with a Browser based interface for a java webdav server. A live example of this implementation in action is available at https://www.webdavserver.com
3 Steps to Set up WebDAV in Java
1. Enable Java WebDAV
The first thing to do is to enable WebDAV at 2 levels: the server instance level as well as the virtual server class level. You must know that WebDAV is disabled through default.
- If you wish to enable WebDAV, you can go to Server Manager and choose Enable/Disable WebDAV link on the Preferences section.
- Next, tap the Enable Java WebDAV Globally checkbox and choose OK.
- Then, choose “Apply” to make the changes.
2. Enabling WebDAV for virtual server
You can enable WebDAV for virtual server acme that belongs to vsclass2:
- You can go to the “Class Manager interface of vsclass2.”
- Then, choose the Content Management tab and choose
- Enable/Disable WebDAV link.
- Check the box of Enable DAV on vsclass2.
- Then, choose OK.
After this, you can now proceed on WebDAV collection.
3. Creating WebDAV collection
After enabling your java WebDAV implementation for a virtual server, you can now create WebDAV collection.
- Go to the interface page of Virtual Server Manager for the acme virtual server.
- Then, choose the WebDAV option.
- Choose the Add DAV Collection link.
- Specify /info as its URI and /info_source as the URI source.
- You can set the Maximum Property Depth value to 1 or infinity.
You can now click OK and choose Apply to save the changes you have made.
Editing WebDAV collection
If you wish to add security and access control to the collection that you have to create in WebDAV, you can create only for the user named ‘manager.’ You can use the Edit ACL button on the Edit WebDAV Collection page. With this, you can now set up the server for making WebDAV requests.
By simply following the steps mentioned above, you can now enjoy the benefits of WebDAV in Java. It allows you to edit, change and save files directly on the server. The best about it is that you can use File Custom Attributes to customer and store locks properties.
You can now have a remote and easy access to your files through WebDAVin Java. You can make everything you want on your accessed files even without the use of a network. You can have an efficient file management system that can help you with your projects.
You can also edit, change, and save files in a fast and easier manner. Setting up WebDAV server can be an innovative solution to your Java applications in cloud. WebDAV can offer you amazing benefits.
We hope you have received a lot of value out of this whether you are spinning up your own java webdav server or using a hosted solution like our upcoming platform.
Photo Credit: https://unsplash.com/photos/1td5Iq5IvNc