With the help of innovative technology, you can now enjoy the benefits of WebDAV. Well, before that, let us know what Python WebDAV development really is and how you can get started
What is Python WebDAV?
Python WebDAV is a client-side library that is made in Python for WebDAV. It is updated for requests than httplib2 to make calls on WebDAV. Its API has not changed so there is no required update for current code bases.
Installation of Python WebDAV
You can install it in stable or development versions.
- Stable Version
You can install its stable version through the following:
python setup.py install
or install using pip:
pip install python_webdav
On the other hand, you can also prefer to download the Development Version. This branch is a never-ending work. Stable versions are not given with excellent regularity, so if you want to fix or features, you don’t need to wait since you can pip install it with the use of github.
You can also install it in the following steps:
- Choose the directory for WebDAV’s persistent store. It is the place where you can store the properties database.
- Next, select the file system directory for root collection that will be served by WebDAV. It is different from the persistent store.
- Copy webdav.ini.template to webdav.ini
- Edit webdav.ini
Set working on the directory of persistent store
Set the root map to place the root web directory
Optionally, edit the port
You can edit other fields in the mini file
How Python WebDAV Works for you?
Python WebDAV can offer you amazing benefits. It has features including the following:
- DAV: getcontenttype can be a writable property. You don’t have to perform syntax checking.
- It supports temp-locked null resources. The listing by GET on the collection comes with resources.
- Generic architecture. It comes with server implementation that has a clean boundary between the part managing this WebDAV protocol.
- The server also supports exclusive write locks with the use of Seconds and Infinite timeouts.
Implementation of Python WebDAV
The server is applied in Python and operated on Python 1.4. It also runs in Windows WebDAV servers and Unix. The storage of resources is stored in the dbm database. The COPY operation needs Posix-style command called “cp” that can understand Posix pathnames.
Testing of WebDAV servers in Python
Tday.py is a Python program that is used for testing a web server with RFC. You can choose command line like the following:
-host – is the full host qualified name. If it is misplaced, the local host is used
-port – it is the port number. If it is omitted, the port 8080 is the alternative
-user – it the username that is used in the testing
-password – it is the password used by the user. If it is omitted, there is not authentication
-collection – is the relative Url of the Web server collection wherein the testing is conducted. It is considered as the most useful where the root collection is not writable
-verbose – it makes output verbose
Now that you have learned about the this topic, you can now enjoy its benefits for your needs as a server to transfer files.
In the near future, we will be launching managed, shared, and dedicated webdav python server hosting to give our customers the option to spin up on-demand webdav servers. If this is interesting to you for your business needs, please reach out to us and we will send you more information.
If you ware a python engineer looking to develop WebDAV-based solutions, then please check out our job boards where we post WebDAV-specific listings .