Box WebDAV: All you need to know
WebDAV or Web Distributing Authoring and Versioning is a protocol that allows the users to share and access all information of their database to a cloud storage point. Now when the topic of Box comes then Box is an online file-sharing, storing and manipulating service provider that can be used by both individuals and business owners.
So, WebDAV is different from Box Sync, as in Box the user is directly connected to the storage point, and then it also allows downloading copies and storing it into the local storage point. Whereas WebDAV takes up no space at all on the local computer because the user is working directly to the cloud storage database. This is how Box WebDAV is coming into action and we are going to show you exactly, How to can you connect to WebDAV using Box
Box WebDAV: How to connect
Note: First of all one must create an external password using the Box web interface.
- Firstly, log on to BOX UMBC
- Then click on your account name and then in the drop-down options, tap on Account Settings.
- You will be redirected to the Authentication section, there click Change Password
- You can then create an external password.
Now to start Connecting from Windows:
To connect to BOX WebDAV in Windows
- Open Windows Explorer from the Taskbar
- Right-click at My Computer and select Map Network Drive. (For Windows 8 users My Computer is changed into This PC)
- A dialogue box will pop up.
- Select the blue text at the bottom which shows Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures.
- After that, a network location wizard will be shown. Click Next.
- Select Choose a custom network location and then click Next.
- In the section of Internet or network address: field type in
- If that is not working then you can also type https://dav.box.com/dav/<specific folder or path>
- Now then next time when you login, to Box by WebDAV on the login screen type your full UMBC email address which is your username and the external password you created earlier.
- Windows will ask you to name the new location. Type in a name for the location.
- Click finish.
You will notice that there is now a new location under My Computer with the name you just assigned. This will allow you to open, modify, save or delete any file directly to your Box account. This is a great method for uploading large numbers of files or directories to your Box account or collaboration folders.
Another Important notice by the Box community about its future
IMPORTANT On April 30, 2018, we announced our intent to deprecate WebDAV support effective January 31, 2019. To give everyone time to migrate off WebDAV we have extended support for WebDAV beyond our originally-announced date, We will be supporting WebDAV until October 25, 2019.
This means Box will deprecate support for WebDAV. So, If you want to connect to Box using a WebDAV client after the 25th of October, you will see connection errors. You won’t be able to access or view your content on Box through your WebDAV client.
Learn more about WebDAV and its connections.