You’re looking for the best WebDAV server for your situation
Or, you might not have the time or resources to manage an on-premise server.
That’s where managed WebDAV hosting comes into play.
Either way, we hope the following information gets you the help you need when researching the appropriate DAV server for your business.
WebDAV Server Overview
The work of a WebDAV server is basically like any other type of normal server and here is everything you need to know about it.
Generally, people use it for hosting servers from home. But if you are looking it in a technical point of view, then a server based on WebDAV is similar to an HTTP server, with some key changes:
- These servers are not able to run and execute XQuery Code.
- These kinds of servers only access the files and directories in a database. It cannot access the file system.
- A server can only support WebDAV protocol which extends the HTTP protocol. This allows WebDAV clients to gain all read and write access in the database.
— WebDAV (@webdavio) June 22, 2019
WebDAV Server : What is its purpose?
Web servers which support WebDAV are known as WebDAV servers. These servers behave like any other web servers but with an additional setup.
The purpose of a WebDAV server is to facilitate file transfer and editing. The primary reason WebDAV was created was to assist Distributed Versioning and Authoring. It helps monitor, verify, and marshall files when they are edited by multiple parties.
Nowadays, a modern equivalent would be Git and github.com – these servers manage the versioning of files that development projects are using.
When there are a lot of people uploading, downloading, deleting, and editing files, a DAV server makes sense. The server sits in the middle to ensure that one user’s edits don’t cause issues like corruption, overwriting, and other race conditions that plague distributed systems and data validity.
Theses ervers allow users to gain access to a Database in the server which can manipulate in accordance with their desire without any fear or file transfer corruption issues
For many applications, it is useful for clients to be able to impose orderings on collections at the server.
When the server receives a request for a list of collection’s members, it always responds with a list ordered according to the ordering specified for that collection.
For instance, for a -Product manual application- the sections of each manual may be ordered so that they can be printed together as a book.
WebDAV also allows creation of symbolic link, the ability to add a referential member to a collection which can point to any resource on the Web.
What are the Benefits of having a server based on WebDAV
By this part of the article, you should probably know what is the functionality of a WebDAV Server. Now, let us dive into its core benefits
- These servers have more access to passing firewall than that of FTP servers
- They also follows the same security model as ODBC, HTTP servers. So when users try to gain access to any account in the database, the server authenticates the User ID and password.
- Since WebDAV works over FTP, it is both Fast as it has TCP connections as well as Secure.
- Users can easily modify their data stored in the directories of the server.
- If you are the admin of a then you can avail the benefit of letting the server automatically arrange your database for you.
How does a WebDAV Server Work
Top WebDAV Server Options for Business
Here’s a list of some of the top WebDAV servers on the market. These servers are mostly general purpose Web servers that have the power and capability to function as great servers for WebDAV, CalDAV, or CardDAV in most use cases.
The Best WebDAV Server
We’ve got a recommendation for the best box for hosting your DAV operations.
Get a Managed WebDAV Server
If you are also planning to get yourself a server then look no further. We will soon be offering a free tier of managed webdav hosting which would enable you to spin up a box of your own.
We plan on launching managed, shared, and dedicated webdav hosting options along with other perks and integrations.
This means you don’t have to:
- Worry about building out open source projects
- Hiring an engineer to run the server
- Keeping up to date with RFC WebDAV Specifications
- Keeping up with cloud storage APIs
So for those people who are in search of creating a server that is based on WebDAV, you are just one-click away. We’re in the process of accepting Alpha clients to test out our infrastructure. Email us now for more details.
Check out our free WebDAV server option.
Some more topics on this server technology
- Linux WebDAV Server
- WebDAV Mac Server
- Android Server
- Synology Server
- WebDAV iOS Server
- Software Server